Translate

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

"My name is Sarah Palin, you all know me..." - Sorry, Mrs. G. (she's just the picture)

I was told today by a source from inside the classroom that "she talked about the essays and political lies etc." in class today (I am at home sick for all those who didn't notice). I hate to miss a chance to talk about politics. I think politics are fun. You can always tell when a politician is lying: its always. Everything they say is a lie, at least under my definition of the word. It's their job to bend the truth (whatever that is) every which way to make it fit the ideals of the most people. Their game is a difficult one to play, and the nature of it makes blunders all the more entertaining.



 

 Anyways my aim was not to make fun of less fortunate politicians (or was it?), it was to say something intelligent about lying. Deceiving, misleading, inventing, misinforming. I think it also includes not telling the whole truth, for that in it self is a form of misinformation. Under such a broad definition, even the simplest of truths becomes a lie. Obviously all of us have lied, on purpose or not. Now as we have read, one can categorize lies many different ways, but that itself is a lie; defining something as a category. As you may be able to see by now, discussions of lying lead to circles of paradox that we as humans can't understand or talking about without lying, misinforming, mistaking, misleading, etc. once again (at least I can't).

But that leads me to my main point. We do not have the authority or understanding to really discuss the subject, because everything we say about lies is itself a lie. I have really confused myself (which means I lied to myself?) thinking about this. I should not attempt to write while ill. Or late at night. I would say I never will again, but really, how many times have we told ourselves that lie...

No comments:

Post a Comment