Translate

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Tutoring...GAH!

At the moment, I am spending anywhere from 10-16 hours a week tutoring. Its tough. Generally, I enjoy it: it can be lots of fun. But at the moment I am trying to start an after school tutoring program for our school's science department. Our school already has one for Mathematics and one for English. To the best of my knowledge, they are regularly attended by both tutors and students who need help. I, however, have encountered a few problems. My program was not printed on the schedule for tutoring programs and teachers told their students it was in the wrong room. I have had three days for which I have not had enough students to be productive, and two days for which I have had too many students, and needed more tutors.
This is just the beginning.

When I came up with the idea, I wanted it to be more of a study hall. It would be somewhere that people would go if they needed help with homework, or wanted to see what they did wrong on a test. Most importantly, it would have been for science in general (including AP classes?) rather than only college prep chemistry. Right now, it is just kids from two teachers' chemistry classes who come after they fail their tests and want to retake them. Don't get me wrong, it has been a worthwhile experience so far. It is just very far from my expectations, and a LOT more work that I thought it would be.

The other 9-14 hours have been going well and I'm really enjoying them. I am tutoring both AP Calculus and AP Chemistry classes during the day, and have two other students outside of school. Calculus is always interesting and I feel like I actually make a difference in the classroom. All things considered, I think I am doing pretty well and am happy to be spending so much time doing something I enjoy. Despite many frustrations and complications, I think that everything will eventually fall into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment